Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Back at Patong boxing gym Nov/Dec 2005

Training for my first fight!

I started training as soon as I reached Phuket. Did runs in the morning followed by some shadow sparing and pad-work and in the late afternoons, I did 5 rounds of pads followed by some clinching. I was quite disappointed that my previous trainer Si went back to his hometown and trained under this guy called Pyak. I thought Pyak had a pretty ‘wayang’ and ‘bo chap’ attitude. Bow arranged for me to fight sooner than expected. There was this American guy David from Rawai Muay Thai, who was also a ‘virgin’ fighter like me and we were of the same weight. Bow was the promoter for the event and matched me with him barely a weeks into training. I was supposed to fight on the 8th of December. I thought why not, I might even have time for a second fight before I return to Singapore!

Bang is found!

A new boxing stadium was built after the Tsunami-Bangla Boxing Stadium along the most crowded street of Patong-,Soi Bangla. A week before my fight, I bumped into Bang when I went there to watch the fights. Bang seemed very worried and a little pissed that I was gonna fight and insisted that I visit him for training at a new gym that he was coaching at- J.Prapar Gym at Kata Beach. I went to train at Kata the next day and nearly fainted from the 5 intensive rounds of pad work under Bang! Gosh! I had forgotten how tough it really was. I was having it easy at Patong! Bang insisted that I was not ready to fight but Bow convinced him that that David was very amateur like myself.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Fight poster

No comments: